Yet another UK PM

 

Source: You Tube (Daily Mail) 

It has been a huge honour to be Prime Minister of this great country.

In particular, to lead the nation in mourning the death of Her Late Majesty The Queen after 70 years of service,

and welcoming the accession of His Majesty King Charles III.

In just a short period, this government has acted urgently and decisively on the side of hardworking families and businesses.

We reversed the National Insurance increase.

We helped millions of households with their energy bills and helped thousands of businesses avoid bankruptcy.

We are taking back our energy independence…

…so we are never again beholden to global market fluctuations or malign foreign powers.

From my time as Prime Minister, I am more convinced than ever we need to be bold and confront the challenges that we face.

As the Roman philosopher Seneca wrote: “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare. It is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”

We simply cannot afford to be a low growth country where the government takes up an increasing share of our national wealth

and where there are huge divides between different parts of our country.

We need to take advantage of our Brexit freedoms to do things differently.

This means delivering more freedom for our own citizens and restoring power in democratic institutions.

It means lower taxes, so people keep more of the money they earn.

It means delivering growth that will lead to more job security, higher wages and greater opportunities for our children and grandchildren.

Democracies must be able to deliver for their own people…

We must be able to outcompete autocratic regimes, where power lies in the hands of a few.

And now more than ever we must support Ukraine in their brave fight against Putin’s aggression.

Ukraine must prevail.

And we must continue to strengthen our nation’s defences.

That is what I have been striving to achieve… and I wish Rishi Sunak every success, for the good of our country.

I want to thank Hugh, Frances, Liberty, my family and friends, and all the team at No10 for their love, friendship and support.

I also want to thank my protection team.

I look forward to spending more time in my constituency, and continuing to serve South West Norfolk from the backbenches.

Our country continues to battle through a storm.

But I believe in Britain.

I believe in the British people.

And I know that brighter days lie ahead.


Source: You Tube (Daily Mail)  

Good morning,

I have just been to Buckingham Palace and accepted His Majesty The King’s invitation to form a government in his name.

It is only right to explain why I am standing here as your new Prime Minister.

Right now our country is facing a profound economic crisis. 

The aftermath of Covid still lingers

Putin’s war in Ukraine has destabilised energy markets and supply chains the world over.

I want to pay tribute to my predecessor Liz Truss, she was not wrong to want to improve growth in this country, it is a noble aim

And I admired her restlessness to create change.

But some mistakes were made. 

Not borne of ill will or bad intentions. Quite the opposite, in fact. But mistakes nonetheless

And I have been elected as leader of my party, and your Prime Minister, in part, to fix them.

And that work begins immediately.

I will place economic stability and confidence at the heart of this government’s agenda. 

This will mean difficult decisions to come.

But you saw me during Covid, doing everything I could, to protect people and businesses, with schemes like furlough.

There are always limits, more so now than ever, but I promise you this

I will bring that same compassion to the challenges we face today.

The government I lead will not leave the next generation, your children and grandchildren, with a debt to settle that we were too weak to pay ourselves. 

I will unite our country, not with words, but with action. 

I will work day in and day out to deliver for you.

This government will have integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level.

Trust is earned. And I will earn yours.

I will always be grateful to Boris Johnson for his incredible achievements as Prime Minister, and I treasure his warmth and generosity of spirit.

And I know he would agree that the mandate my party earned in 2019 is not the sole property of any one individual, it is a mandate that belongs to and unites all of us.

And the heart of that mandate is our manifesto.

I will deliver on its promise.

A stronger NHS.

Better schools.

Safer streets.

Control of our borders.

Protecting our environment.

Supporting our armed forces.

Levelling up and building an economy that embraces the opportunities of Brexit, where businesses invest, innovate, and create jobs.

I understand how difficult this moment is.

After the billions of pounds it cost us to combat Covid, after all the dislocation that caused in the midst of a terrible war that must be seen successfully to its conclusions I fully appreciate how hard things are.

And I understand too that I have work to do to restore trust after all that has happened.

All I can say is that I am not daunted. I know the high office I have accepted and I hope to live up to its demands.

But when the opportunity to serve comes along, you cannot question the moment, only your willingness.

So I stand here before you ready to lead our country into the future. 

To put your needs above politics.

To reach out and build a government that represents the very best traditions of my party.

Together we can achieve incredible things.

We will create a future worthy of the sacrifices so many have made and fill tomorrow, and every day thereafter with hope.

Thank you.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I have just read the speech of Miss Liz Truss and Mister Rishi Sunak. Both are similar with a different thing what is that she goes out and he comes in. Thereafter, Miss Truss´s speech is as goodbye and Mister Rishe´s speech is as arrival. While, she speaks a bit sad, he talks a bit happy. Both speak about the brexit and the Putin´s war. He speaks more about his party than she.

She speaks about the National insurance, energy bills, bankruptcy, global market fluctuations and malign foreign powers, lower taxes and freedom and, in my opinion, this is typical from who arrives, not from who says goodbye. Maybe, they should have read the speech from each other. I like the quotation of philosopher Seneca. I don´t know why she makes a difference between Britain and the British people, aren´t they the same? I don´t understand Britain without the British people, neither Spain without the Spanish people.

He gave an explanation about the reason why is going to form a government, the principal one is because his party elected him as leader. He said that he wants to pay tribute to his predecessor, but she made some mistakes with ill will or bad intentions, of course. I don´t like acknowledgements to Mister Johnson, I think it´s inappropriate here. He said that he is going to restore trust but I don´t know what has happened to lose trust in Britain, perhaps he alludes to politicians.

See you.
Graham said…
Good morning Joseph,

It has certainly been an eventful year in UK politics - three PMs in one year.


I have just read the speech of Ms. / Mrs. Liz Truss (she's married but she kept her maiden name. I'm not sure if she uses Ms. or Mrs. - Miss is for single women) and Mr. Rishi Sunak. Both speeches are similar but with one difference - she is leaving while he is just starting. So Truss´s speech is a goodbye and Sunak´s speech is a hello. She speaks in quite a sad tone while he is more optimistic. Both speak about Brexit and Putin´s war. He speaks more about his party than she does.

She speaks about National Insurance, energy bills, bankruptcy, global market fluctuations and malign foreign powers, lower taxes and freedom and, in my opinion, this is typical from , not from someone who is standing down. Maybe they should have read each other's speech. I like the quotation from the philosopher Seneca. I don´t know why she differentiates between Britain and the British people, aren´t they the same? I don´t understand Britain without the British people, neither Spain without the Spanish people.

He gave an explanation about the reason why is going to form a government, the principal/main one is because his party elected him as leader. He said that he wants to pay tribute to his predecessor, though she made some mistakes but without ill-will or bad intentions, of course. I don´t like his acknowledgements to Mister Johnson, I think it´s inappropriate here. He said that he is going to restore trust but I don´t know what has happened to lose trust in Britain, perhaps he alludes to politicians.