Male Teachers in Spain Wear Skirts to School

Source: You Tube (New York Post) Key Words: male teacher skirts Spain


Source: You Tube (Milenio) Key Words: maestros en faldas

Male teachers turn up in SKIRTS across Spain to support boy who was expelled and made to visit a psychologist for wearing one to class 

  • Male teachers in Spain have been wearing skirts to class as part of the campaign 
  • The Clothes Have No Gender movement was started in November by Jose Piñas 
  • Comes after Mikel Gomez, 15, was expelled for wearing a skirt to Basque school

Male teachers in Spain have been wearing skirts to school as part of a campaign challenging gender stereotypes. 

The Clothes Have No Gender (#LaRopaNoTieneGenero) movement was launched by Maths teacher Jose Piñas in November after one of his students was expelled and forced to visit a psychologist after wearing a skirt to school. 

The drive gathered pace again last month when Manuel Ortega, 37, and Borja Velaquez, 36, of Virgen de Sacedon primary school in Valladolid ditched their trousers for skirts

The pair put their knees in the breeze for the month of May after seeing one of their students bullied with homophobic insults for wearing a t-shirt featuring an anime character, forcing him to change outfit.

Ortega said he was 'horrified' by the merciless teasing, which prompted him to team up with Velaquez and 'promote tolerance' by wearing a skirt for the month of May. 

He wrote on Twitter: ‘A school that educates with respect, diversity, co-education and tolerance. Dress how you want! We join the campaign #clotheshavenogender.’ 

The pair told El Pais they had seen a noticeable a positive change in students' behaviour since they started wearing the skirts. 

But, they insist these results are only 'the tip of the iceberg' and say the school should do more to promote respect and tolerance in the classroom.

Basque Country teacher Piñas launched the movement in November after realising little had changed from his school days 20 years ago. 

Posting a picture of him wearing a skirt in front of a chalk board, he wrote: '20 years ago I suffered persecution and insults for my sexual orientation in the institute where I am now a teacher. 

'Many teachers, they looked the other way. I want to join the cause of the student, Mikel, who has been expelled and sent to the psychologist for going to class with a skirt.' 

Mikel Gomez, 15, has since taken to TikTok to document the flood of support he has received since November. 

The video, which has racked up millions of views, has prompted others, including students, to take the challenge and garnered praise from teachers and parents online. 

Others have criticised the teachers, questioning whether the movement is necessary.


Other skirt-related blogposts:



Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

Without getting started, I am going to speak about the problem that I would have if I wanted to put on a skirt. Perhaps I was superficial. I´m sorry.

My first attempt would be to speak with my wife to give her an explanation. After, I would try her skirts but I´m afraid that I´m fatter than she and I would may wear not one. In the second place, I would call my sister but neither, I wouldn´t may wear her skirts because she is smaller than me and I would wear miniskirt showing my knickers. My only solution would be to go to the shop and, then, I would have to go alone because my wife wouldn´t accompany, I´m sure. Now, I imagine I arrive to the shop and I say: "Please, I want a male skirt". I don´t want to think the face of the shop assistant but he or she would tell me: "Sorry we have not male skirts". After it, I would say: "Don´t worry, I want a female skirt". I suppose that he would bring a female skirt to I try it, but he would tell me: "Sorry but it is very difficult to wear a female skirt because it never fits and reverse, with due respect". Then, I would come back home with a bit frustration.

Suddenly, I have an idea. I may go to Inverness and I may enter in a shop naturally. They are going to sell me a smart skirt because it´s an article of clothing of luxury which men wear to celebrate events. In other words, I am going to buy a kilt in Scotland which is a Scottish men´s skirt.

See you.
Graham said…
Evening J,

Joseph the crossdresser? Perish the thought!


Without getting started (Not sure what you mean here), I am going to speak about the problem that I would have if I wanted to put on a skirt. Perhaps I am being superficial. I´m sorry.

My first attempt would be to speak with my wife to give her an explanation. , I would try on her skirts but I´m afraid that I´m fatter than her and it might not fit. Secondly, I would call my sister but neither would I be able to wear her skirts because she is smaller than me and it would be like a miniskirt showing my knickers. My only solution would be to go to the shop and, then, I would have to go alone because my wife wouldn´t accompany me, I´m sure. Now, I imagine arriving at the shop and saying: "Please, I want a male skirt". Idread to think of the shop assistant's face but he or she would tell me: "Sorry we don-t have any male skirts". After that, I would say: "Don´t worry, I want a female skirt". I suppose that he would bring a female skirt so that I could try it on, but he would tell me: "Sorry but it is very difficult to wear a female skirt because it never fits and reverse (not sure what you mean by reverse), with due respect". Then, I would come back home somewhat frustrated.

Suddenly, I have an idea. I may go to Inverness and enter a shop naturally. They'll sell me a smart skirt because it´s an article of clothing of luxury which men wear to celebrate events. In other words, I am going to buy a kilt in Scotland which is a Scottish men´s skirt.