Australia Day

Celebrated annually on 26 January, Australia Day marks the anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet of British ships and the raising of the Flag of Great Britain at Sydney Cove.

It isn't without its controversy:

Australia Quiz:

1. Which is the Australian flag? Do you know what the other ones are?

A: 


B:   


C:


D:
 

   
2. I wonder if you know what the capital of Australia is.

A: Sydney
B: Canberra
C: Melbourne
D: Brisbane


3. Can you tell me what the current population of Australia is estimated to be?

A: 15,385,400
B: 25,234,600
C: 30,925,200
D: 35,678,900


4. Which of the following isn't an Australian state?

A: Queensland
B: New South Wales
C: Newfoundland
D: Victoria


5. Which of the following isn't true?

A: The Australian Alps get more snow than the Swiss Alps.
B: 50% of its animals are unique to Australia.
C: Australia gained independence in 1901 but "God Save the Queen" remained its anthem until 1984.
D: More than 85% of Australians live within 50km of the coast.


6. Do you know which year James Cook landed in Botany Bay?

A: 1550
B: 1660
C: 1770
D: 1880


7. Which of the following famous people isn't Australian?

A: Russell Crowe
B: Mel Gibson
C: Nicole Kidman
D: Elle Macpherson


8. Can you guess how Australians call the English ?

A: Sheilas
B: Pommies
C: Mongrels
D: Oldies


9. Do you know what Kylie Minogue did before becoming a world-renowned singer?

A: She was a professional surfer.
B: She married a wealthy businessman,
C: She acted in a popular soap opera.
D: She won Australia's first TV talent show.


10. Do you know what the sport with the highest attendance is?

A: Rugby League
B: Australian Rules Football
C: Cricket
D: Soccer

What do you know about Australia? Have you ever been? Would you like to go?

Read some of these stories about Australia (from the BBC travel page). What did you learn?



Source: You Tube (Kylie MK) Key Words: Minogue your eyes


Kylie Minogue - In Your Eyes
What on earth am I meant to do
In this crowded place there is only you
Was gonna leave now I have to stay
You have taken my breath away
Is the world still spinning around
I don't feel like coming down
It's in your eyes
I can tell what your thinking
My heart is sinking too
It's no surprise
I've been watching you lately
I want to make it with you
Destiny has a funny way
When it comes and takes all your cares away
I can't think of a single thing
Other than what a beautiful state I'm in





Source: You Tube (LiFers) Key Words: Survive Priscilla Queen Desert


I Will Survive

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side
But then I spent so many nights
Thinkin' how you did me wrong
And I grew strong, and I learned how to get along

And so you're back from outer space
I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face
I should've changed that stupid lock
I should've made you leave your key
If I had known, for just one second
You'd be back to bother me

Go on now, go
Walk out the door!
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore!
Weren't you the one
Who tried to hurt me with goodbye?
Did you think I'd crumble?
Did you think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I! I will survive!
Oh, as long as I know how to love
I know I'll stay alive!
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
And I'll survive! I will survive!
Hey, Hey!

It took all the strength I had
Not to fall apart
Kept trying hard to mend the pieces
Of my broken heart

And I spent, oh, so many nights
Just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
But now I hold my head up high!

And you'll see me, somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person
Still in love with you

And so you felt like dropping in
And just expect me to be free
But now I'm saving all my loving
For someone who's loving me!



My favourite Australian song:


Source: YouTube (Orthodoxquaker) Key Words: Waltzing Matilda

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,



I can see that Australia Day is different according to the English point of view or according to Australian rebels.



Quiz: 1.- A belongs to Hawaii. B belongs to New Zealand. C belongs to the Falkland Islands. D belongs to Australia.

2.- The name of the capital of Australia is Canberra.

3.- The letter B says the population of Australia.

4.- Newfoundland is no a state of Australia.

5.- It´s not true that there is much snow in Australia.

6.-James Cook landed in Botany Bay in 1770.

7.- Russell Crowe is from New Zealand. Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman are Australian-US and Elle Macpherson is Australian. (You know that I don’t know who are these people but internet knows everything).

8.-Pommy means English. It seems that Australian people call pommies to English immigrants.

9.- Kylie Minogue won Australia´s first TV talent show and after began to sing and to sell discs.

10.- Australian Rules Football. Sorry, the Real Madrid is not here.



What I knew from Australia was that there were kangaroos. What I like from Australia is Nicole Kidman. I have never been to Australia. Going to Australia is not especially interesting for me.



What the most has surprised me, after I read these stories, has been that in Australia there are hundreds of thousands of camels. It is beyond belief. There are camel farms and there are feral camels. The Australians use camels to transport goods.



See you.
Graham said…
Good evening José,

It's not one of my life's ambitions to visit Australia either, though it must be an incredible country.

Have you heard an Australian accent? I reckon that you'd find it tough.

5. Apparently, the Australian Alps gets more snow than its Swiss counterpart. 80% of its animals are unique to Australia.

9. Kylie first appeared in a soap opera. At first, it was broadcast at lunchtime in the UK. Schoolchildren, including a young Graham, started going back late to school so that they could watch it.


What I knew about Australia was that there were kangaroos. What I like from Australia is Nicole Kidman. I have never been to Australia. Going to Australia doesn't really appeal to me.

What surprised me most, after I read these stories, has been that in Australia there are hundreds of thousands of camels. It is beyond belief. (I know you like this expression but it sounds strange here. Remind me in class and I'll explain how to use it.) There are camel farms and there are feral camels. The Australians use camels to transport goods.