Phrasal verbs with "put"
All the following sentences contain a phrasal with the verb "put". Match the phrasal to its meaning.
- He's very good at putting his ideas across.
- What a mess! Can you put all these papers away, please?
- Don't leave the book there. Put it back on the shelf.
- The policeman told the man to put the knife down.
- The meeting was put off due to the pilots' strike.
- You are eating chocolate cake now?! It'll put you off your dinner.
a. to return stg to where it was before it was moved
b. to delay an event until another date or time
c. to express
d. to discourage sb from doing stg
e. to put stg in its usual place
f. to put stg you are holding onto the floor
- Can you put the light on? I can't see a thing.
- I put on a lot of weight over the holidays.
- It took the fire brigade ten hours to put the fire out.
- Can you put me through to customer services, please?
- He has nowhere else to stay so I'm putting him up for a few days.
- How do you put up with all this noise?
b. to accept an unpleasant situation
c. to connect a person on the phone with another
d. to get heavier
e. to give accommodation to sb
f. to extinguish
Take a note of -
to put across an idea, to put on weight, to put a fire out ...
b) Phrasals with people:
to put sb up, to put sb through, to put sb off ...
c) Separable Phrasals (when the noun can go between the verb and preposition):
to put the light on, to put the meeting off ...
d) Non-separable Phrasals (the noun is never in the middle):
to put up with stg/sb ...
e) Phrasals with more than one meaning:
to put on, to put off ...
I looked the word up in the dictionary. ✔
I looked it up in the dictionary. ✔
I looked up the word in the dictionary. ✔
I looked up it in the dictionary. ✘
As you can see from the above, pronouns are always in the middle of Separable Phrasals.
Object nouns come after either the verb or preposition.
Phrasals with two prepositions are always Non-separable.
I am looking forward to meeting you. ✔
I am looking forward you to meeting. ✘
How do you put up with this noise? ✔
How do you put up this noise with? ✘
Translate the following:
- Esta es una zona sin humo. Por favor apaguen sus cigarrillos.
- Shhhh! Puedes hacer menos ruido? Me estás distrayendo del trabajo.
- No sé cómo aguanta a su jefe. Yo no podría.
- Espero que lo coloques exactamente en el mismo sitio donde estaba.
- Te importa si enciendo la tele?
- Las bolsas pesaban tanto que tuve que depositarlas en el suelo (descansar) varias veces.
- Decidieron posponer la boda hasta el año que viene,
- Discutió con su mujer y lo dejé pasar la noche en mi casa.