Job v work

What's the difference between job and work?

Work is a both a verb and a noun (uncountable) whereas job is used as a noun (countable):
  • I don't have much work this week. 
  • He has a lot of work at the moment. He has a lot of works at the moment.
  • She has two jobs. She is a travel agent and she also works as a waitress at weekends.
  • He's a lawyer. He has a well-paid job in a multi-national. He has a well-paid work.

We say go to work, start work and finish work:
  • I go to work by underground. I go to my job by underground.
  • She starts work at eight on Fridays. She starts her job at eight on Fridays.

Job is more specific than work. Job refers to your particular employment position such as a teacher, lawyer, shop assistant and so on.
  • I like my job; I'm a journalist.       My job is a journalist.
  • I'm looking for a new job (= a new position).       I'm looking for new work.
  • John has found a job as an accountant for a clothes company.
  • What's his job? = What does he do?

We use work (v) to talk about the location or who the employer is; not to give a specific description or title.
  • She works for the BBC.
  • James works at a law firm.      His job is for a law firm.
  • Ruth works in Paris.          Her job is in Paris.



Other meanings:

As a verb, work can have the meaning of function:
  • The laptop isn't working again. I wonder what's wrong this time.
  • Do you know how the oven works?

As a noun, job can also have the meaning of a task such as repairing something at home:
  • There are a couple of jobs that need doing around the house; the most urgent is the dripping tap.




Comments

José said…


Thank you very much Graham.

José.
Graham said…
You are most welcome, José!