Flying is no fun

Spain under state of alert over air strike chaos

The Spanish government has declared a state of alert after a strike by air traffic controllers grounded flights, stranding thousands of travellers.

The measure will allow widldcat strikers to be charged with a crime under the military penal code.

About half of the controllers showed for their shift on Saturday morning but most refused to work, in a dispute over hours and conditions.

National carrier Iberia has cancelled all flights until 0500 GMT on Sunday.

There are huge crowds of passengers at Spain's airports, many hoping to get away at the start of a national holiday, many of them frustrated and angry, says the BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Madrid.

The army was called in to take charge of the country's air space on Friday, but cannot direct air traffic.

Announcing the state of alert, Deputy Prime Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said the air traffic controllers were trying to protect "unacceptable privileges".

Spain is engaged in a big austerity drive to cut its budget deficit.

Legal threat

Some flights were operating to parts of Spain, including the Canary Islands and Majorca but flagship carrier Iberia, and budget airline Ryanair said they were cancelling all their flights until Sunday morning.
The controllers' unsanctioned action began Friday afternoon in Madrid, with staff calling in sick.

It spread across the nation, forcing travellers to find last-minute hotel rooms or sleep on airport floors. Some passengers were taken by coach to their destinations.

The controllers were already involved in a dispute about their working hours, but were further angered by austerity measures passed by the government on Friday which would partially privatise AENA.

"We have reached our limit mentally with the new decree approved this morning obliging us to work more hours," said Jorge Ontiveros, a spokesman for the Syndicate Union of Air Controllers.

"We took the decision individually, which then spread to other colleagues who stopped work because they cannot carry on like this. In this situation we cannot control planes."

'Hostages'

The head of AENA, Juan Ignacio Lema, said the strike was "intolerable", and told the controllers to "stop blackmailing the Spanish people".

Spanish Transport Minister Jose Blanco has also condemned the strike, saying those involved were "using citizens as hostages".

Hundreds of national and international flights have been cancelled across the country, leaving angry passengers left stranded in airports.

Some were left stranded on runways as their planes had to turn back. Others had to travel by bus to regional destinations.

"All flights are blocked, there's a huge lot of people here, sitting around everywhere. Right now everyone is calm, but we don't know what's happening," said one traveller at Barajas airport.

"The captain came out to say Spanish airspace had suddenly shut, with no prior warning," another passenger stuck in a plane at Palma told Spanish radio.

One woman at Barajas airport said it was "a disgrace". "How can a group of people be so selfish as to wreck the plans of so many people?"


Source: BBC News

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,Graham.It's a good thing I hadn't to do a trip this weekend. I think there are some groups of workers who are very selfish and they shouldn't have the power to wreck the planes of the rest of the people.Many people had arranged their trip several months ago. The controllers should think that is time of crisis and this strick isn't good to the business tourist.
I hope you have a good time. Montse
Natalia said…
I can tell myself it was a very cruel thing to do. I was one of the 600.000 people stucked at the airport and I bought this plane ticket two months ago! I could change it for the next weekend but it's clearly not the same!
I had to admit people were pissed off with the air controllers but no one was blaming the stuff who were working this evening. It was strange but everyone was very civilized and united!
See you this week!
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham !! I have been in Madrid during the long weekend. I have been listening news about the controllers´ strike and I am angry about this problem. In my opinion, controllers has a lot of power because they are only 2000 people. If they were 4000 people, they wouldn´t have so much power.

If I were the Spanish president, I´d dismiss all the controllers who didn´t go to work on saturday.

Finally, as police, controllers would´t have strike right.

See you next weekend. Felix
Graham said…
Hi Montse:

You are right that the strike wasn't good for business but I feel sorrier for the ordinary people whose plans were upset. I saw a young woman in the news who was going to have her wedding abroad. She was in tears.

It's a good thing I DIDN'T HAVE to GO ON A TRIP this weekend. .. the power to wreck the PLANS of ...The controllers should think THAT IT is A time of crisis and this STRIKE isn't good FOR THE BUSINESS TRAVELLER.
Graham said…
Hi Natalia,

I did wonder if you had got away or not.

How long did it take you to sort out the change of ticket?

During my nightmare 50 hour journey a few years ago, I had an additional problem when I tried to change my ticket. I had bought the ticket via the BA webpage but it was an Iberia plane. I was going back and fore between Iberia nad BA counters; neither wanted to do the simple task of changing a ticket.

I was glad I wasn't flying at the weekend.

.. 600.000 people STUCK at the airport ...
..blaming the STAFF who were working this evening.
Graham said…
Hi Felix!

I have finally got round to replying to you.

I have been LISTENING TO THE NEWS... In my opinion, controllers has a lot of power because THERE ARE ONLY 2000 OF THEM. If THERE WERE 4000 people, they wouldn´t have so much power.

Finally, LIKE THE POLICE, controllers SHOULDN'T have THE RIGHT TO STRIKE.

Good to see you using the second conditional correctly.
Angel said…
Hi Graham,

Ok. Controlers are no doubt nasty and mean people. But I wonder too if the alert state decreted by the government is not also a warning to the people belonging to the essential sectors in the society (police, healh services...)in order to discourage them from future strikes.
Graham said…
Hi Ángel,

I don't know if the air traffic controllers are mean and nasty but I do think they reflect the selfish attitude of society. Everyone looks after "number one" and doesn't think about how their actions affect others.

How do workers such as these controllers sort out their grievances if they can't go on strike?

... I wonder too if the STATE OF ALERT DECLARED by the government...

Well, I'm just glad that they have extended the state of alert over the Christmas holidays!

Now "all" I should have to worry about is the weather.