Summer snow in Scotland

Source: K B on Unsplash

Weird weather for Scotland

VISITORS to a tourist hotspot have gone from baking in a heatwave to getting caught in snow showers — in just SIX DAYS.

Last Sunday Aviemore was the hottest place in Scotland with sizzling temperatures of 31°C as Mediterranean-style weather swept the country.

But yesterday visitors to the Cairngorms resort were shivering in blizzards on the slopes after the mercury plunged to zero.

Chillier

Twins Jeanette and Elizabeth McGregor, both 17, took advantage of the unexpected two-inch snowfall to build a snowman.

And Cairngorm Mountain employee Derek Pritchard had to sweep snow off a viewing gallery to prevent any tourists slipping. Spokesman Colin Kirkwood said: “It is surprising how many people head up the hills just to see the snow in summer. It can be quite an attraction.

“It is not unprecedented at this time of year. A few years ago there was snow on Midsummer’s Day.

“Our rangers say that we strangely get a snowfall shortly after a warm spell. Although we are an all-year-round attraction, a summer snowfall still creates a buzz around the resort.

“There are people who have skied the Cairngorms every month of the year.

Experts last night predicted more heavy snowfall on the mountains.

A Met Office spokeswoman said: “There is still the possibility of heavy snow in the Cairngorms. We are still only at the start of the summer.”

Temperatures had also become much chillier across Scotland yesterday — as low as 12°C in Glasgow and just 11°C in Aberdeen.

And the Met Office expects the next few days to be even colder to leave sun-seekers disappointed.

The spokeswoman added: “It is going to be a bit more unsettled compared to the gorgeous weather last week.

“Most places are going to see showery rain and the minimum temperatures are going to be slightly lower at 10°C or 11°C.

“I would say to anyone venturing out this weekend to remember and dig their raincoat out.”

Source: The Sun

What freak weather have you experienced? Where and when?

Weather idioms:

It never rains but it pours - an expression we use when a lot of things go wrong at the same time or happens at the same time eg
  • It's my mum's birthday today. I'm having dinner with her tonight. But before that I have to go for a drink with Fiona - it's her birthday too. Julia called me - she needs my help with some exam practice. Carla called me too - she wants to see me urgently about something. Whatsmore I had to take work home with me this weekend to finish for Monday morning. It never rains but it pours.
  • First my car breaks down, then my washing machine goes on fire and now my computer doesn't work. It never rains but it pours.
If you are feeling a bit ill, sad or lack energy you are under the weather
  • I'm going to call in sick today. I'm feeling a bit under the weather. I hope it isn't the start of the flu.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,



Going on with climate change, I have found in your blog a post about that one what the movement would call climate change in 2009, of course, in Scotland. Weird weather for Scotland because it snowed on June 06. Tourists had gone from baking in a heatwave, with the swimsuit, to shiver in a blizzard, with the coat. It was a quiet attraction for them and I suppose that they didn´t pay by this. Scottish children enjoyed with two-inch snowfall and building snowmen.



As it said here, a few years ago there was snowing on Midsummer´s Day, therefore, this one was another event of climate change and as this one was a few years ago, I suppose that it was in 2002, more or less.



May 15, 1996, approximately, I went to Vinuesa that is a beautiful town of Soria, with my children. The second day of holiday, we woke up as always and we opened the curtains, surprise, everything was white, there was two-inch snowfall and when I told my children that it had snowed, then, they got up quickly to see it. We went to the Santa Inés´s Port to have a good time all day, go sledding on the mountain and we could see wonderful views about big hills full of pines forest. It was very beautiful. It was another event of climate change.



It never rains but it pours is an expression very familiar. Sometimes everything is wrong and I think that it happens especially when you are very nervous or worried. In this moment, it never rains but it pours in Spanish politic.



Have a Merry New Year.



See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon José,

I hope 2020 has got off to a good start for you. I am sure you are looking forward to having more free time - lucky you!

I think I told you about the time when I went to Segovia with my mum in May and it was snowing. Another time we went to Sevilla, again in May, and the streets were like rivers. The whole time we were there it was no more than twelve degrees.



Staying on the subject of climate change, I have found in your blog a post from 2009 about what the movement would call climate change, of course, in Scotland. Weird weather for Scotland because it snowed on June 06. Tourists had gone baking in a heatwave, in a swimsuit, to shivering in a blizzard, in a coat. It was a quiet attraction (can't think what you mean here) for them and I suppose that they didn´t pay for this. Scottish children enjoyed the two-inch snowfall and built snowmen.

As it said here, a few years ago there was snow on Midsummer´s Day, therefore, this one was another event of climate change and as this one was a few years ago, I suppose that it was around 2002.

May 15, 1996, approximately, I went to Vinuesa, which is a beautiful town of Soria, with my children. (On) the second day of our holiday, we woke up as always and we opened the curtains, surprise, everything was white, there was two-inch snowfall and when I told my children that it had snowed, then, they got up quickly to see it. We spent the day at the Santa Inés ski resort; we went sledging down the mountain and we could see wonderful views of the pine forest covered hills. It was very beautiful. It was another event of climate change.

It never rains but it pours is a very common expression. Sometimes everything is wrong and I think that it happens especially when you are very nervous or worried. In this moment, it never rains but it pours in Spanish politics.