A Bit of a Gamble

50p punter wins £1m on birthday

A fertiliser salesman from North Yorkshire has come forward to claim his £1m winnings - amassed through a 50p eight horse accumulator bet.

Fred Craggs, from Thirsk, found he hit the bonanza on his 60th birthday at the weekend, but sat through a family meal without telling anyone.

He beat odds of two million to one when all his horses came home on Saturday.

A William Hill spokesman said the bet was "the most amazing ever" since betting shops were made legal in 1961.

Mr Craggs placed his bet last Friday in a William Hill shop in Thirsk.

He needed all eight horses to win - from the first horse called Isn't That Lucky, to the last horse called A Dream Come True.

But he only discovered he was a millionaire when he went to place another bet in Bedale on Saturday.

"I had quite a glowing feeling in the shop but none of the other customers seemed to notice."

"I've never spent more than the price of a packet of cigarettes on a bet so it is very surprising that I won this much money."

William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe said: "We are delighted that the wait to discover the identity of our fortunate client is now over, and that he has been in touch and arranged to receive his winning cheque - we can now put him forward for inclusion in the Guinness Book of World Records."

And he added: "Mr Craggs does follow form, but also uses his own instinct to make his final selections - that instinct was certainly spot on this occasion."

Do you know any other good luck stories related to gambling?

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

When you arrive to Madrid, send me a message, please.

This fertilizer salesman was a good investor because paid the price of a packet of cigarettes and he won a million of pounds. I suppose that this man was horse lover because with eight horses he beat odds of investment. I think that this man was every life working and he earned bit money in his job, but without working he earned a million. Anyway, we have to look for the luck because nobody is going take the million your home.



It’s curious the English name of the horses, the first horse was called “Isn’t That Lucky” and the last horse “A Dream Come True”.



I know other good luck story. I was in Peñíscola (Castellón), on holiday, with my family and we went to the fairground. There, my children bought some candy and I took part in a raffle. I paid 100 pesetas and then, I was a fortunate man, I won a prize, it was a big doll. They gave me the big doll, but it wasn’t worth more than 30 pesetas. The worst thing was the laugh of my wife when I took my prize.



See you.
Graham said…
Good evening José,

If I remember correctly, you aren't a gambler. Neither am I though you'll often hear me saying "I bet you ... something or other". I say this when I am absolutely sure that I am right or convinced about something.

- "I bet you I'll miss my connection"
- "I bet you (that) he has forgotten about the appointment"
- "I bet you that Brexit will be a huge success"
- "How much do you bet that he'll be late?"
- "I bet you €100 that I can go a month without drinking"



This fertilizer salesman was a good investor / made a good investment because he paid the price of a packet of cigarettes and he won a million pounds. I suppose that this man was a horse lover because with eight horses he beat the odds of his investment. (I'm not sure what you mean here. He didn't own the horses; there were eight horses in the race)

I think that this man had been working all his life and he didn't earn much in his job, but without working he earned a million. Anyway, we have to look for luck because nobody is going to take the million to your home.

The English names for horses are curious, the first horse was called “Isn’t That Lucky” and the last horse “A Dream Come True”.


I know of another good luck story. I was in Peñíscola (Castellón), on holiday, with my family and we went to the fairground. There, my children bought some candy and I took part in a raffle. I paid 100 pesetas and then, I was a fortunate man, I won a prize, it was a big doll. They gave it to me, but it wasn’t worth more than 30 pesetas. The worst thing was the laugh of my wife when I took my prize.



I'll send you a text when I arrive in Madrid.