We Are Family

This is a pic of my Mum. 

Do you think I look like her?

What does she do for a living?

She doesn't work now; she's retired. She keeps busy about the house.

What's she like?

She's quite reserved and very kind. She's a great Mum.

What does she like doing in her spare time?

She loves gardening. She is hooked on a couple of soap-operas. She isn't so keen on cooking now.

Do I take after my mother?

I suppose so. We are both quite stubborn at times.

Do I have any brothers or sisters?

I have one brother but we seldom see each other. We don't *get on. We are like chalk and cheese.


Have a look at Grammar Challenge from the BBC Learning English site. It practices questions (as above) with "like". It is divided into 4 parts.

First, listen to Lorenzo doing the Grammar Challenge and then read Find Out More.

Do practice quizzes 1 and 2.

Finally, read the descriptions of a well-known international person.



Write a description of one of your relatives; as I have done. Try to be a little adventurous with your language, using as many new words as possible.

Then, as with the final part of the BBC page, write a description of a famous personality - without mentioning their names!


Grammar

- to ask about someone's appearance use the verb look like
- You can also look like + noun in affirmative sentences to say someone has a similar appearance to someone/something else.
  • I look like my brother.
  • She looks like Samantha Fox.
  • He looks like an accountant.
- to ask for a description of someone's personality, use What + be + subject + like?
- You can also use this form to ask for a description for just about anything!
  • What's your teacher like? He's great.
  • What is Edinburgh like? It's quite small but really interesting.
  • What was the film like? I found it boring.
  • What was the hotel you stayed in like? It was cheap but comfortable.

*Spotlight on Vocabulary

Use the verb get on to describe your relationshop with others:
  • I've tried my best to get on with my colleague but it's difficult because we have absolutely nothing in common.
  • I get on with my older brother but I don't get on very well with my younger one.

And speaking of family...... here is a song that we have been hearing on the radio for the last 30 years. Admit it - its catchy. You will be humming it all day now.


 
Source:You Tube (FestaCariocadisco)  Key words: sister sledge family

Have a try to complete the lyrics to this 70s hit. Some words might be difficult to catch; it's a bit tricky.

Listen to it and complete the gaps. Play lyricstraining

Sister Sledge - We Are Family Lyrics 

(CHORUS:) 

We are family 
I got all my s______ with me 
We are family 
Get up ev'rybody and s___ 

 ******************************* 

Ev'ryone can see we're together 
As we walk on *by 
(FLY!) and we fly just like birds of a f______ 
I won't tell no l__ 
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say 
Can they be that c____ 
Just let me state for the r_____ 
We're giving love in a family dose 

(CHORUS x2) 

Living life is f__ and we've just begun 
To get our s____ of the world's delights 
(HIGH!) high h____ we have for the future 
And our goal's in s____ 
(WE!) no we don't get depressed 
Here's what we call our golden rule 
Have f____ in you and the things you do 
You won't go wrong 
 This is our family Jewel 

 ************************************************ 

*Spotlight on Vocabulary 

Use the preposition by with verbs of movement to say that something passes in front of you. 
  • I like to sit at an outdoor café and watch the world go by.
  •  He pretended not to see them and walked on by.

Comments

Sonia said…
She really looks quite kind and I don´t know that if you look like her because it doesn´t see good, in the photo .

My parents are a great parents, too. They love me and help me, all the time. My mother is shorter than your mother, I think, so, but she isn´t a grey hair because she dyes one´s it . My mother is 65 years old and she has been looking after my children for ten years. She´s as quite fit for her age. I love her.

My father is slim and average height. He isn´t bald like your father but he wear glasses, too. My father´s retired many years ago. He´s 78 years old but he looks healthy though he smokes a lot. He loves football and he sees all matches on TV, too, and he´s speaking about it, all day. I love him.

I´ve got one brother. He´s two years younger than me. He´s a great brother because he helps me, always and I love him.
Graham said…
Most people say I look more like my Dad. I think I take after my mother in terms of temperament though.

"She really looks quite kind BUT I don´t KNOW IF you look like her because I CAN'T SEE HER very well in the photo.

My parents ARE great parents too. They love me and help me all the time. My mother is shorter than your mother but she DOESN'T HAVE grey hair because she DYES it . My mother is 65 years old and she has been looking after my children for ten years. She´s quite fit for her age. I love her.

My father is slim and average height. He isn´t bald like your father but he wear glasses too. My father RETIRED many years ago/ HAS BEEN RETIRED FOR MANY YEARS. He´s 78 years old but he looks healthy though he smokes a lot. He loves football and he sees all matches on TV, too, and he TALKS about it all day. I love him.

I´ve got one brother. He´s two years younger than me. He´s a great brother because he ALWAYS helps me, and I love him."
rafa said…
Hi everybody,I am a new Graham's student, I'm not a good writer, I don't know what I can tell you, even in spanish, but I must practice so I will try...
My name is Rafa, I'm living in Madrid but I borned in Barcelona more time ago that I would like admit really...
I work like arquitec in a construccion company...
what I most like to do is to travell...in two months I'm going to go to Australy ( I didn't find nowhere farther...) that is the reason to conect with graham to refresh my english...that idiom that I have been studing all my life but how I don't use to practice it I don't speak as well as i would like...
What is I like? I'm very shy but very friendly... I love to know people and parties, though my aspect is a little bit serious and for me isn't very easy to know people.
What I look like? I'm thin and tall, nothing remarkable, I look like younger that I am ( or I want to think so...)
Well, today it's enought, another day more...
Graham said…
Hi Rafa

Welcome to the blog. I think that participating in it will be of help to you, even if at times, you don't quite know what to say.

Don't get disheartened by the number of mistakes that you have made. It is only by making them that you learn from them.

Hi everybody,

I am Graham's new student. I'm not a good writer. I don't know what I can tell you, even in spanish, but I must practice so I will try...

My name is Rafa, (1)I LIVE in Madrid but I WAS BORN in Barcelona more time ago (2)THAN I would like TO admit really...

I work (3)AS AN ARCHITECT in a CONSTRUCTION company...
what I most like to do is TRAVELLING...in two months I'm going to go to Australia ( I COULDN'T FIND ANYWHERE farther...) that is the reason I GOT IN TOUCH with Graham to refresh my English...that LANGUAGE that I have been (4)STUDYING all my life but as (5)I AM NOT USED TO PRACTICING IT, I don't speak as well as i would like TO

What AM I like? I'm very shy but very friendly... I love to (6)MEET people and GO TO parties, though my aspect is a little bit serious and IT isn't very easy FOR ME to(6)GET TO KNOW people.

What DO I look like? I'm TALL AND SLIM nothing remarkable, I (7)LOOK younger (2)THAN I am (or AT LEAST I want to think so...)

Well, THAT'S ENOUGH FOR TODAY. I'LL WRITE SOME MORE ANOTHER DAY.
Graham said…
(1) "I am living in Madrid" suggests that you are here temporarily while "I live in Madrid" suggests it is more permanent.

(2) comparative + than eg My English is better now than it was a few weeks ago.

(3) for jobs you never use the preposition "like" and always use the indefinite article eg My sister works as a nurse.

(4) all verbs that end in "y", don't drop it when adding "ing" : trying, playing..
Only verbs that end in "consonant + y" change when adding "ed" or " es" : tried, tries...

(5)Most Spanish students have difficulties with the differences between (a) "used to do" (b)"usually do" and (c) "be used to doing".

(a) I used to get up early = I don't get up early now but I did in the past

(b) I usually get up early = 70% -80% of the time I get up early NOW.

(C) I am used to getting up early = I get up early and it isn't a problem. I am not used to getting up early = I don't get up early very often and so it is difficult for me.

(6) First you meet someone, only then do you know them. Getting to know someone is finding out more about that person. eg I don't know him very well. I'd like to get to know him better.

(7) we use "look" with adjectives and "look like" with nouns eg I look older. I look like my older brother

Hopefully this has proved a good use of your time. I look forward to reading your next few comments.

See you tomorrow.
Montse said…
1. Hi, Graham. I’ve read your post and I’ve do the exercises from the BBC page. I think you look like your mother very much. Now, I have no time to describe anybody but I’ll do it other day, I promise.
Montse said…
Hi, Graham. I correct myself a big mistake in my previous post : I’ve DONE the exercises…
My parents died many years ago but I would like to describe to my mother. What did she look like? She was average height, she dyed her hair of blonde and she wore glasses. What was she like? She was a nice person, friendly, generous and a good mother. What did she like doing? She loved meeting with her friends and travel with them. I already miss her a lot.
When I was younger I look like my father but now people tell me that I look like her.
I have two sisters younger than me. I get on them but, although we live in Madrid, we don’t meet each other very often.
See you tomorrow!
Graham said…
Montse,

It saves me a job if you are able to spot and correct your own mistakes. :-)

I think I look more like my Dad but I am more similar to my Mum in terms of character.



she dyed her HAIR BLONDE...

She loved MEETING HER friends and TRAVELLING with them. I STILL miss her a lot.

When I was younger, I LOOKED like my father....

I GET ON WITH them...

Have a good weekend!
peekandpack said…
Hi Graham,
I'm Susana.
In the exercises A:
Picture 1: He must be al least 50 and he looks American.
Picture 2: She could be in her 50's but she looks very young. She might be English.
Picture 3: He could be Russian and he must be Abramovich, a very rich man.
Picture 4: She looks like friendly and she is a Princess Mary of Denmark.
Picture 5: She might be Joan Collins's sister, they look quite similar. She must be American.
Picture 6: He looks like handsome and he might be French. He could be architect.
Picture 7: He looks like an italian politicien and he looks very smart.


Exercises B: What's she like?
About your mother, she looks in her 60's. She could be Scotish and she must be retired. I think, she was a good teacher and you are a quite similar.


Tomorrow is a day off, enjoy, and see you on thursday!

Susana.
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham! Here star the description...
She looks in her 60´s, her skin is pale and the colours of her eyes are very light so it makes me think she could be from UK. She looks very quite and calm person.
She looks fit, she is tall and thin, I think she still care about her shape.
You have the same nose of your mother and the shape of your face is similar as well. I can´t find on you anything else similiar with your mother so I suppose you took after more things of your father.
See you on thursday!
Graham said…
Hi Susana,

Sorry for not answering before now - it's BEYOND A JOKE still not having internet at home.

I'm impressed that you recognised a few of these "famous" people.

Pic 1: you are right.

Pic 2: right about the age but she isn't English. She's Italian.

Pic 4: She LOOKS FRIENDLY - that's because she has Scottish blood.

Pic 5: WELL SPOTTED! But if she's her sister, she CAN'T BE American.

Pic 6: He LOOKS HANDSOME - again that's because he has Scottish blood in his vains! He might be AN ARCHITECT.

I think my mother might have made a good teacher but a very strict one! :D

Do you think I look like her? Most people think I look like my Dad. I should take a pic of him to post here and LET YOU BE THE JUDGE.

Have a good weekend!
Graham said…
Hi Cristina,

Here STARTS the description...
She looks in her 60´s. SHE HAS A PALE COMPLEXION and the COLOUR of her eyes are very light so it makes me think she could be from THE UK.. She LOOKS LIKE A very QUIET and calm person.
She looks fit, she is tall and thin, I think she still TAKES CARE OF her FIGURE.
You have the SAME nose AS your mother and the shape of your face is similar as well. I can´t find ANY OTHER SIMILARITES TO your mother so I suppose you OOK MORE LIKE your father.


Remember that TAKE AFTER is used for personality.

I think I look more like my Dad but take after my mother more.


Keep doing things in the blog - I'll eventually GET ROUND TO correctING everything.

Have a great weekend!

25 November 2011 19:56