Even if v Even though


Even is a word you will hear often. As an adverb, it can mean something is surprising or unexpected (hasta, incluso, ni siquiera) and is used for emphasis.
  • Everyone danced, even Graham. (Graham never dances)
  • A: He works every day.    B: What? Even on a Sunday? (It's unusual to work seven days a week)
  • She didn't even say thank you. (At least she could have said thanks)
  • Don't even think about it! (¡Ni lo pienses!)
  • It's easy. Even I can do it. (emphasizes that everyone can do it)
  • No-one disagreed, not even the boss. (The boss normally disagrees with everyone else)
N.B. Even alone cannot be used as a conjunction (i.e. join two clauses together). It needs to be combined with if or though to connect two clause.
  • He often behaves like a child even he is 25 now.  😡 
  • He often behaves like a child even if he is 25 now 😍 
  • Even she survives, she'll never fully recover.  😡 
  • Even if she survives, she'll never fully recover.  😍 

Even though is a linker of contrast which precedes a statement of fact. The other part of the sentence is surprising, unusual or unexpected. It is a more emphatic alternative to although. It can be used at the beginning or in the middle of the sentence.
  • Even though I studied hard, I still failed the exam. (Despite studying hard, I still failed the exam)
  • I don't know him very well even though we see each other every day. (I don't know him very well in spite of seeing each other every day)
  • Even though he is very wealthy, he lives in a modest flat. (Although he is wealthy, he lives in a modest flat)
  • He won the race even though he was much older than the others. (He won the race despite the fact that he was much older than others)

Even if means whether or not (tanto si ... como si no). It introduces something hypothetical - possibly not real. It emphasizes a conditional sentence.
  • Even if he asks me nicely, I won't agree to working weekends. (I won't agree to working weekends whether he asks me nicely or  not)
  • I wouldn't live there even if I had the money. (I don't have the money but supposing I had, I still wouldn't live there)
  • We're going to the countryside this weekend even if it rains. (It might rain this weekend but that won't stop us from going to the countryside)
  • Even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. (I'm never going to tell you)

Compare the following sentences:
  • I go jogging when it is cold and raining. (simple fact, sounds like you only go jogging when it's cold and raining)
  • I go jogging even when it is cold and raining. (emphasizes the fact that it's not just on warm and dry days that I go jogging)
  • When I felt ill, I went to work, (sounds as if it is a normal thing to do)
  • Even when I felt ill, I went to work. (it's unusual to go to work when you feel ill)

Even so introduces a fact that is surprising in the context of what has been said before.
  • She has very different opinions and interests to me. Even so, we get on. (You wouldn't expect us to get on because we are so different but we do)
  • The weather wasn't great but even so, we enjoyed our weekend away. (The weather wasn't great but we still enjoyed ourselves)

Choose the best option to complete the following sentences:
  1. My dog eats everything - even / even so / even when ice cream!
  2. I won't sell my car even though / even if / even you offer me a good price.
  3. Smoking has been proven to shorten lives. Even when / Even so, / Even if many people still take it up.
  4. Even though / Even if /  Even when she is very old, she can still read without glasses.
  5. Kate is always cheerful. She keeps smiling even when / even so / even things get stressful at work.
  6. I'll remember this day even when / even if  / even though I live to be 100.
  7. I had a wonderful time even though / even if / even I didn't know anyone at the party.
  8. I washed the shirt several times but even if / even so / even though I couldn't get rid of the stain.
  9. Even when / even if / even though he was young, he never had any ambition.
  10. She didn't even / even so / even though clean the dinner plates. She's so lazy.

Write some examples of your own.

Comments

HC said…
My dog eats everything - even when- ice cream!
I won't sell my car - even though - you offer me a good price.
Smoking has been proven to shorten lives. Even so- many people still take it up.
Even when she is very old, she can still read without glasses.
Kate is always cheerful. She keeps smiling even when - things get stressful at work.
I'll remember this day even if I live to be 100.
I had a wonderful time even though- I didn't know anyone at the party.
I washed the shirt several times but even though - I couldn't get rid of the stain.
Even when - he was a young, he never had any ambition.
She didn't even - clean the dinner plates. She's so lazy.
Graham said…
Evening Hugo,

You still need to practise these expressions. You haven't quite got the hang of them yet.


even though = although (for contrasts / contradictions of facts)

even if = supposing (for hyopthetical situations)

(even) when = emphasizes that when something happens, the result is the same

even so = despite what just has been said

even - to show surprise


1. My dog eats everything, even ice cream! (incluso)

2. I won't sell my car even if you offer me a good price. (hypothetical)

4. Even though she is old, she can still read without glasses. (aunque) Two facts that contradict each other - normally very old people need glasses to read.

8. I washed the shirt several times but even so, I couldn't get rid of the stain. (aún así)

Barbara said…
My dog eats everything even so ice cream!
I won't sell my car even if you offer me a good price.
Smoking has been proven to shorten lives. Even so many people still take it up.
Even though she is very old, she can still read without glasses.
Kate is always cheerful. She keeps smiling even when things get stressful at work.
I'll remember this day even if I live to be 100.
I had a wonderful time even though I didn't know anyone at the party.
I washed the shirt several times but even I couldn't get rid of the stain.
Even when he was young, he never had any ambition.
She didn't even clean the dinner plates. She's so lazy.
Graham said…
Eevning Barbara,

It looks as if you have understood all the different uses of even.

Just a couple of errors:

My dog eats everything - even ice cream! (incluso)

I washed the shirt several times but even so I couldn't get rid of the stain. (aún así)

Well done!


Cristina G.C. said…
1. My dog eats everything, even ice cream!
2. I won't sell my car even if you offer me a good price.
3. Smoking has been proven to shorten lives. Even when many people still take it up.
4. Even though she is very old, she can still read without glasses.
5. Kate is always cheerful. She keeps smiling even when things get stressful at work.
6. I'll remember this day even if I live to be 100.
7. I had a wonderful time even though I didn't know anyone at the party.
8. I washed the shirt several times but even so I couldn't get rid of the stain.
9. Even when he was young, he never had any ambition.
10. She didn't even clean the dinner plates. She's so lazy.
Graham said…
Hello Cristina,

You make it easy for me. Thanks.

All fine apart from:

3. Smoking has been proven to shorten lives. Even so, many people still take it up.

i.e. Despite thet fact that smoking shortens lives, many people still take it up.

even so = despite what has just been said