Don't believe what you read in the papers - especially today

Today is April Fools' Day - a day when most newspapers try to fool their readers by publishing an absurd story.

Check out its origins and some of the stories by clicking on the April Fools' label (in left hand column or at the end of this post).

Here  is a video and article about high-tech googles from the Guardian.

First glass cabin: Virgin launch new jet with SEE-THROUGH floor

Pioneering bosses at Virgin are introducing a jet with a glass floor to give passengers an uninterrupted view of the Earth from 30,000ft.

It will offer an amazing “walking on air” experience, with the world at your feet.

The plane has been commissioned as a one-off to join the airline’s new domestic Little Red fleet – flying once a day between Heathrow and Aberdeen.

And it has been granted special permission to fly over Loch Ness for a unique view of the Scottish scenery.

It is identical to the standard Airbus A320, apart from a special strip of aviation-grade glass in the underbelly, with baggage stored either side.

The project was personally funded and overseen by Sir Richard Branson.

He said: “It’s a world first. I can’t wait to experience the first flight for myself and my family.”

Two other conventional daily flights from Heathrow will still be available.

If the service takes off, more glass floor jets will be introduced from April 1, 2014.

Source: Daily Mirror


And here are some stories that sound like April Fools' but apparently aren't:
 
German flea circus hit by freeze Source: BBC News
 
Night Princess Diana dressed as a man to visit a gay bar with Freddie Mercury Source: Daily Mail

Courses in 'Harry Potter' and 'ethical hacking' offered by universities Source: Telegraph
 

Read April Fools' Day: The top 10 pranks of all time Source: Mirror

And finally, read this previous post on famous hoaxes  (though they didn't appear on April 1st).

Comments

Montse said…
Hi,Graham. How are things going?
I think many of those things could be true, especially those which have to do with technology. Nevertheless, others, as the flea circus sound ridiculous.
I hope you are enjoying your holidays!!
P.S. There is something wrong in recent comments column. I can’t see them.


Graham said…
Hi Montse,

Happy New Year!

I had a great time at home in Inverness (yes, I still call it home) though I didn't do anything special. I got back to Madrid last night. As usual, I'll need a few days to readjust. It's just as well I don't start lessons until Tuesday.

How are you enjoying the hols?


Nevertheless, others *such as the flea circus, sound ridiculous.

*I've seen you make this mistake before.

The stories about the flea circus, Diana and Harry Potter are apparently true.

I'll try to sort out the problem with the comments asap.

See you soon.
Montse said…
you are right. I have never used "such as"...I have learned it just now. Thanks!
Montse said…
Hi, Graham and Happy New Year for you, too!!.

My holidays are being relaxing, at home. I will be to work on 9th, so I will see you on Thursday.
It’s no wonder you feel your home is in Inverness. You have there your loved ones and your childhood memories…I think is nice to have a place where you can return from time to time.

See you.
Graham said…
Hi Montse,

I'm not looking forward to getting up early on Tuesday. I suppose you won't be the only one to miss class. I think it's silly for the school to start lessons on the 7th.

I call Inverness "home" but in reality I feel like an outsider there.


Happy New Year to you, too!!.

These holidays, I've been relaxing at home. I will be at work on 9th, so I will see you on Thursday.
It’s no wonder you feel your home is in Inverness. You have your loved ones and your childhood memories there…I think it is nice to have a place where you can return from time to time.


Enjoy your days off. See you on Thursday.