Guiri - offensive or harmless term?

Spanish people have a secret code word for Brits - and it's not a compliment

Brits heading to Spanish hotspots such as Benidorm, Lanzarote and Malaga may hear the word 'guiri' following them around, but it doesn't just get aimed at visitors from the UK

The Spanish have a nickname for Brits who flock to the country - and it's not particularly complimentary.

Brits who have been on Spain holidays may have heard the term 'guiri' floating about in the air. 

Pronounced ‘guee-ree’, the term is typically aimed at or used to describe not just British tourists, but any who tick certain boxes.

Those boxes typically include holidaymakers who enjoy letting their hair down and picking up a glass or two of alcohol.

Given that five million more Brits visit Spain each year than any other country - and that their actions have even inspired debates in regional parliaments - it is no surprise the phrase may be more regularly directed at those adorned in Union flag clothing. 

Depending on the origin story of the word you plump for, how offensive it is varies.

By some reckonings, a 'guiri' is derived from a term describing the Basque word of 'giri', which means ‘blonde’ or ‘fair-skinned'.

Some argue it goes back further than that and is a Hindi word used by the Indian diaspora to describe white people. 

Today, in the context of Spain, guiri typically refers to a white person who is paler than most Spaniards.

It is also used to encompass some of the qualities of such people, which is where the link to the other origin story comes in.

According to the Real Academia Dictionary, the word dates back to the Carlist Wars of the mid 19th century when Basque speakers called their enemies 'guiristino' - after the regent Queen María Cristina.

Leah Pattem, a journalist who spends a lot of time in Spain, argues that the term is offensive.

"A guiri is also categorised as naïve and/or ignorant, trapped in their own culture due to refusal or inability to integrate," she wrote.

"They will dress wrong, be sunburnt and generally look hot and bothered.

"Most Spaniards will argue that the word guiri is not offensive, but it undeniably makes sweeping assumptions about a person based on either their appearance, their nationality, or their behaviour."

Some holiday hotspots in Spain are currently making moves to cut down on the number of 'guiri' who visit.

Lanzarote's leaders are hoping to declare the island "saturated" and is aiming for a tourist decline to "guarantee the future of generations to come."

Part of the new strategy will be to become less dependent on Brits who currently account for more than half of holiday numbers.

Lanzarote, which has just over 151,000 inhabitants, received 2.5 million tourists until November 2022 - 17 times its population.

Now, the Island Council has advanced the idea of declaring itself a "tourist-saturated area" and claims that the idea enjoys "a broad social consensus".

Source: Daily Mirror

Spotlight on Vocabulary:

"...on Brits who currently account for more than half of holiday numbers."

 - (PV) to form a particular amount or part of something (representar)

  • Under-30s account for the vast majority of our customers.
  • Women now account for around half of the workforce in Spain.
- to be the reason why something happens / to give a satisfactory explanation of why something has happened or why you did something  (explicar, ser la causa de, justificar))
  • He couldn't account for his movements on the day of the murder.
  • He's been under a lot of stress recently and this may account for his behaviour.
  • How do you account for the fact that numbers are down?
  • The difference in price between the mobiles is partly accounted for by the number of features.


 

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I confess that I have never heard the Spanish say guiri to foreigners. The first time that I heard the word guiri was when my English teacher told me it. I speak everyday with foreigners, among others Latin Americans, and I haven´t heard that none Spanish calls guiri their.

I´m sorry, but I have left from my village sometimes. LOL

After reading this article, I think a few Spanish can call guiri to people who look like foreigners or as it is said in this article who is paler than most Spaniards and this doesn´t depend on if they are from the UK or Brits. Therefore, in my opinion, this word isn´t offensive, but if a journalist says that guiri is insulting, it will be true. In addition, the journalist says that a guiri is categorised as naïve, ignorant and so on, then he must know more that the majority of the Spanish. Then, I´ll have to assume that the Spanish know less that a lot of journalist from the UK or other countries.

El País said that guiri was a foreign tourist who struggles to understand the local culture, but I don´t understand that foreign tourist came here to understand our culture, although, I suppose that there is a lot of culture in our beaches. What´s more, guiri is who eats “fluorescent paella” and who is not one of us. I don´t know what is a fluorescent paella. I have to make tourism around Spain for learn these details.

See you.
Graham said…
Evening Joseph,

I've even heard "guiri" on news programmes and "tertulias" - and yes, it makes my blood boil. And the Spanish always make light of the expression. Grrr.

I scanned through the El País article but I can't find anything about "fluorescent paella" - I imagine it refers to the disgusting rice that they serve up in the most touristy places.


I must confess that I have never heard the Spanish say guiri to foreigners. The first time that I heard the word guiri was when my English teacher told me it. I speak with foreigners every day , Latin Americans among others, and I haven´t heard any Spanish person call them guiri.

I´m sorry, but I have not left from my village very often. LOL

After reading this article, I think few Spaniards call people who look like foreigners - "guiris" or as it is said in this article - those who are paler than most Spaniards and this doesn´t depend on if they are from the UK. Therefore, in my opinion, this word isn´t offensive, but if a journalist says that guiri is insulting, it will be true. In addition, the journalist says that a guiri is categorised as naïve, ignorant and so on, then he must know more than the majority of the Spanish. Then, I´ll have to assume that the Spanish know less that a lot of journalists from the UK or other countries.

El País said that guiri was a foreign tourist who struggles to understand the local culture, but I wouldn't think that foreign tourists come here to understand our culture, although, I suppose that there is a lot of culture on our beaches. What´s more, guiri is someone who eats “fluorescent paella” and who is not one of us. I don´t know what fluorescent paella is. I have to go on a tour around Spain to learn these details.