Waiters in Short Supply

‘A certain stigma’: Spain’s hospitality sector hit by waiter shortage 

Despite huge national unemployment, restaurants owners are struggling to fill vacancies. Why?

After a two-year drought, tourists are flooding back to Spain, but just as the hospitality industry begins to recover from the pandemic, it faces a new crisis – a shortage of waiters. 

From Mallorca to Madrid, restaurateurs are crying out for waiters with tens of thousands of jobs waiting to be filled. The Hard Rock hotel in Ibiza is so desperate it is offering staff a €200 (£170) bonus to find suitable employees. 

The paradox is that unemployment in Spain is running at 13.4% – more than double the EU average of 6.2% – yet there are more than 100,000 job vacancies, with as many as half of those in hospitality, even though the national statistics office says 85,000 bars and restaurants closed permanently in the first year of the pandemic. 

“People come to me for interviews and they say: ‘I’ve got three offers already,’” says Albert Cabanos of the hospitality employment agency camareros.com. “We used to tell an applicant, we’ll call you if there’s anything. Now they say, I’ll call you if I’m interested. Or they say, I only want to work Monday to Friday.”

So where have all the waiters gone? Many are immigrants and some went home, preferring to sit out the crisis with family and friends. Not all have returned, and now the government is proposing changes to the immigration law to make it easier for immigrants to legally join the workforce. 

Many more waiters were forced to look for work elsewhere as Covid restrictions hit hospitality much harder than any other sector and have stuck with their new jobs, finding advantages to them they did not have in their previous lives. 

Jeffrey Feliz Jiménez worked as a waiter and chef for eight years in Almería in southern Spain but has given it up for the regular hours of work in a furniture warehouse. “No one respects contracts and you never know what your hours are,” he says. “You have to work till closing time but you don’t know when that is and you end up working a lot of unpaid hours.” 

Even when lockdown ended, bars and restaurants suffered a series of restrictions on opening hours and seating capacity that in many areas remained in force until January of this year. According to government figures, only 10% of hospitality workers are on permanent contracts and many were not entitled to furlough payments. 

Workers simply could not afford to wait for business to resume as hotels and restaurants clung on until tourists returned, which they did not in any numbers until Easter, fully two years since the first lockdown was imposed. 

Other sectors such as construction and logistics recovered sooner and faster than hospitality. “No one ever imagined that tourism would come to a stop so suddenly,” Cabanos said. “People in hospitality had to rethink their careers and they discovered ways of living that are much more compatible with family life. 

“In hospitality you get Monday off and that’s that. But if you work as, say, a house painter, maybe you don’t make more money but you have the weekend off, you don’t work over Christmas and Easter.” 

Over the past 20 years, employment in the sector has doubled from 900,000 to 1.8 million. One result is owners complain that it is increasingly difficult to find professional waiters, with fewer young people seeking a career in hospitality. According to the UGT trade union, the average monthly salary in the sector is €1,264, not a lot more than Spain’s €1,000 minimum wage. 

“There’s a certain stigma attached to being a waiter, as though it isn’t a proper job, even though you’re in the business of making people happy,” says Patrick Pescetto who runs the Buenas Migas chain of cafes in Barcelona. “It’s getting harder to find professional waiters rather than students who are just trying to make a bit of money.” 

Lockdown also gave a lot of people a chance to take stock of their lives. “The furlough scheme gave people a chance to think about what’s important in life and whether they were happy doing what they were doing before,” says Paige Tad, whose family run four pubs in the resort town of Benidorm. 

Tad’s businesses mostly employ Britons and they have had to close one pub for lack of staff. “It’s the knock-on effect of Brits moving back to England during the pandemic and on top of that, Brexit, which means that it’s not that easy for Brits to live and work here now.” 

Monica Zajac, who moved to Barcelona from Poland seven years ago, worked as a barista in speciality coffee bars before taking an office job at the electrical appliance company Dyson that gives her more time to study for a new career as a psychotherapist. “Working in hospitality can be difficult,” she said. “You have a lot of contact with the public which sometimes isn’t as pleasant as you’d like it to be. Life is short and you’ve got to follow your dreams.”

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

Life is full of surprises. The Spain´s hospitality sector -restaurants, bars, hotels and so on-, have been tricking and abusing waiters and other workers for a long time and now they said that there are not waiters. ¡F**k them! Employees aren´t slaves. It´s very easy. They must pay more wage and they shouldn´t compel to work so many hours, for instance.

Employees complained before about restaurants and bars only let work Saturday and Sunday. In this way companies can avoid paying the full salary and contribution to Social Security. But now companies complain about waiters only want to work Monday to Friday. ¡F**k them!

How many waiters do have indefinite contract? They have to work on summertime and what´s the matter the rest of the year? It´s not problem of companies. Therefore, they have to pay more now.

See you.
Graham said…
Hello José,

Even though I have been on the receiving end of selfish employers, I don't entirely agree with you.

While it is true that many waiters are treated unfairly, it must be tough being a bar or restaurant owner - especially nowadays, with the sharp rises in utility bills. I get the impression that waiting staff is mainly made up of foreign workers and students - most people refuse to work unsocial hours for relatively poor pay. I don't think that profits are huge. Would you be willing to pay more for your meal so that the waiter could be better paid? I may be wrong but I seem to remember you implying that you weren't a fan of tips.

In the UK, apparently there is a similar shortage of staff. Of course, it is all the fault of Brexit - just like Breakast is to blame for all things that go wrong in life.


Life is full of surprises. Spain´s hospitality / The Spanish hospitality sector -restaurants, bars, hotels and so on-, have been tricking and abusing waiters and other workers for a long time and now they say that there are no waiters. ¡F**k them! Employees aren´t slaves. It´s very easy. They must pay staff a better wage and they shouldn´t compel them to work so many hours, for instance.

Employees complained before about restaurants and bars only letting them work (on) Saturday and Sunday. This way, companies can avoid paying the full salary and contributions to Social Security. But now companies complain about waiters only wanting to work Monday to Friday. ¡F**k them!

How many waiters have an indefinite contract? They have to work over the summer and what´s the matter the rest of the year? It´s not a problem of companies. Therefore, they have to pay more now.

Anonymous said…
Hi Graham!

I saw as well on the news that there's a shortage of employees in the hospitality sector, mostly this last 2 years.
Overall, I think being a waiter is a job with really bad conditions, it's ungrateful, you get paid the minimum salary and have to work weekends and holidays. Also, I think it's a job where usually owners get advantage from their employees by compeling them to work overtime without being paid or without registering them on social security. On the top of this, the contracts usually are temporary or permanent discontinius contract, so employees don't acumulate any days of holiday.
Apart from this, nowadays that the living costs have been sizeable increased, earning 1000 euros per month it's not enough, so I can understand why waiters are starting to chose other kind of jobs.
What's funny to me is that even though all these, employers still demand experienced waiters, they refuse to hire students or people without experience.
From my experience, I've only worked in two places in Spain in the hospitality sector. The first one was working as a waitress in Vips group and second one, as a prep cook in a bar.
I can say my fist experience was not bad, they hired me without any experience and they were paying me the overtime hours. The job was tough but fun and the working atmosphere was also really fun. All my colleagues were students as well with no experience.
I think all this is just because Vips is a big chain and they have enough money.
My second experienced was also really fun because I love cooking but the conditions were a bit worse. The working atmosphere was really strange and I stayed working there only 10 days. They fired me because I was unable to be alone in the kitcken cooking 5 menus for 150 customers, even though I was hired as a prep cook, not as a chef.
In general I can say I was more or less lucky, but I heard really bad experiences from people getting paid less than the minimun salary.
Graham said…
Hi Maria,

I don't think I'd last very long doing the job of a waiter. For sure, I'd end up throwing food over a diner.


I saw on the news as well that there's a shortage of employees in the hospitality sector, mostly over these last 2 years.

Overall, I think being a waiter is a job with really bad conditions, it's thankless/unrewarding, you get paid the minimum wage and have to work weekends and holidays. What is more, I think it's a job where owners usually take advantage of their employees by compelling them to work overtime without being paid or without registering them for social security. On top of this, the contracts tend to be / are usually temporary or at best semi-permanent i.e. intermittent employment, so employees don't acumulate any days of holiday.

Apart from this, now that the cost of living has increased considerably, earning 1000 euros per month is not enough, so I can understand why waiters are starting to chose other kinds of jobs.

What I find funny is that all these employers still demand experience and refuse to hire students or people without experience.

From my experience, I've only worked in two places in Spain in the hospitality sector. The first one was working as a waitress in Vips group and the second, as a prep cook in a bar.

I can honestly say that my fist experience was not bad. They hired me / took me on without any experience and even paid me overtime. The job was tough but fun and the working atmosphere was also good/great fun. All my colleagues were students as well, with no experience.

I think all this is just because Vips is a big chain and they have enough money.

My second experiences was also fun because I love cooking but the conditions were not as good / a bit worse. The working atmosphere was really strange and I only lasted 10 days. They fired me because I was unable to be alone in the kitcken cooking 5 menus for 150 customers, even though I was hired as a prep cook, not as a chef.

In general / On the whole, I can say I was fairly lucky, but I have heard really bad experiences from people getting paid less than the minimun wage.