Black expressions

Source: Max Fischer en Pexels

 Today, as if it was possible to ignore, is Black Friday. I hope, like me, that you are refusing to particpate in the American import. Here are a few previous Black Friday-related blog posts and tweets.




Take a look at some black-related expressions:

a black mark against sb - something that you have done wrong or failed to do which is noticed and remembered by people and affects your reputation in a bad way
  • If I'm late for the meeting, it'll be another black mark against me.
a black eyean area of skin around the eye that has gone dark because it has been hit
  • He says he got the black eye by walking into a lampost but I don't believe him.
the pot calling the kettle black -
  • I can't believe you are calling me lazy; talk about the pot calling the kettle black! You're the one who stays in bed all day on your days off.

in black and white - in writing or in print
  • Make sure you get him to put it in black and white. I wouldn't take him at his word otherwise.
  • They are going ahead with the plan. Here it is in black and white - read it for yourself if you don't believe me.

black and bluewith dark marks on your skin caused by being hit or having an accident
  • He was attacked by a group of thugs and left black and blue.

jet-black - very dark black
  • Until very recently, he had jet-black hair. He seemed to turn white overnight.

in the black - not in debt
  • It took a while to pay off my student loan but I'm finally in the black.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

Last month I signed a contract with a company which has its headquarters in Madrid. Yesterday, my boss told me that I´m working slowly. I answered him that she has given me black eye and that this is black mar against me. For this reason it is possible that the company won´t renovate my contract, but my boss said that I must take at his word. I told her that she works slower than me and she talks about the pot calling the kettle black. I will check my contract in black and white in case the company gets the sack me and I will check the final severance because I´m in the black.

My boss is a woman who has jet black and her hands are black and blue, but she is not charming for me. I hate her. She rants and raves of me whenever she can do it. She pays productivity everyone apart from me, because I am not her favourite worker. Sometimes, people said that in the Ministry there is not justice, but what´s the matter in companies? It´s unfair that companies discriminate some workers because they don´t suck up to their boss.

See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon Joe,

I get the impression that you are missing the world of work.

Last month I signed a contract with a company which has its headquarters in Madrid. Yesterday, my boss told me that I´m working slowly. I answered her that she gave me a black eye and that this is a black mark against her (If she gave you a black, it'll be a black mark against her). For this reason, it is possible that the company won´t renew my contract (you renovate a house that is falling apart), but my boss said that I must take her at her word. I told her that she works slower than me and she said that was like the pot calling the kettle black. I will check my contract in black and white in case the company gives me the sack / I get the sack and I will check the final severance pay even though I´m in the black.

My boss is a woman who has jet black hair and her hands are black and blue, but she is not charming in my opinion. I hate her. She rants and raves at me whenever she can. She pays everyone a productivity bonus apart from me, because I am not her favourite worker. Sometimes, people said that in the Ministry there is no justice, but isn't it the same in private companies? It´s unfair that companies discriminate against some workers because they don´t suck up to their boss.