Good News for Bad Spellers

University students will not be marked down for bad spelling because it would be ELITIST 

  • Academics have been told that insisting on good written English discriminates 
  • Some universities have been adopting so-called 'inclusive assessment' systems 
  • Regulator wants to reduce gap between white and black student attainment rate

University students will not be marked down for poor spelling, grammar and punctuation in exams because it would be 'elitist'. 

Academics have been told that insisting on good written English discriminates against ethnic minorities and those who went to 'underperforming' schools. 

The Office for Students wants to reduce the gap between the proportion of white and black students gaining good degrees and cut dropout rates among poorer students. 

In response, some universities have been adopting so-called 'inclusive assessment', a more flexible scheme first introduced to level the playing field for students with conditions such as dyslexia. 

At Hull University, a new policy says the requirement for a high level of proficiency in written English can be seen as '*homogenous, North European, white, male, and elite'.

It adds that students with English as a second language or educated at poorly performing schools can be discouraged if high standards of written English are required. 

Instead it plans to encourage students to develop a 'more authentic academic voice… that celebrates, rather than obscures, their particular background or characteristics'. 

At the University of the Arts London, guidelines on marking written work say staff should 'actively accept spelling, grammar or other language mistakes that do not significantly impede communication unless the brief states that formally accurate language is a requirement'.

It warns academics to 'avoid imposing your own idea of 'correct English' on student work'. 

Academics at Worcester University have also been told that if spelling, grammar and punctuation are not 'central to the assessment criteria', it is fairer to judge students only on their ideas and knowledge of the subject. 

The move comes as universities come under increasing pressure to boost the progress of ethnic minority, disabled and disadvantaged students, as well as 'decolonise' courses. But critics have rounded on the erosion of standards. 

'Inclusive assessment makes me want to weep,' said Professor Alan Smithers, an education expert at Buckingham University. 'Exams are there to discriminate between those who can and those who cannot, including being able to say clearly what you mean.

'This approach won't do the students any favours in getting and keeping a job

'Gaps will only be truly narrowed by supporting students more and teaching them to write well rather than ignoring mistakes.' 

Professor Frank Furedi, of Kent University, added: 'Inclusive assessment is an instrument of social engineering that violates the norms of academic education. 

'Lowering standards of assessment lowers expectation of what students should achieve. Worse, normalisation of illiteracy flatters instead of educates students.' 

Hull University said the new rules would be implemented in courses only where no external body insists on good written English. However, it declined to say which subjects would be affected – or even whether the relaxed marking would apply to those studying English. 

And a spokesman for the University of the Arts London said the guidelines depended on the subject and 'should be seen within the context of blended learning and our ongoing work to narrow/close awarding gaps'.


Vocabulary:

rather than -


 


support -


 *Image:  confectionary   - sweets or chocolate (c) / a place where sweets or chocolate are made or sold (only problem it is spelt confectionery)

*Text - homogenous - even in an article on spelling, you can find a spelling mistake. It should be homogeneous

Other posts related to spelling:


Do any of these sentences have a spelling mistake?
  1. The national team was an embarrassment.
  2. I had a really weird dream last night.
  3. What's your name and address?
  4. I think that was an unnecessary remark.
  5. Unlike most of his mates, he is financially independant.
  6. They see each other very occassionally.
  7. I had a big arguement with my sister.
  8. I am definately going to his party.
  9. I hope we don't loose again. We've lost the last 5 matches.
  10. It's sometimes hard to seperate fact from fiction.
  11. He feels responsible for his younger brother.
  12. I try to do my bit for the enviroment.
  13. You should come to. It'll be fun.
  14. I wonder if I'll recieve an invitation.
  15. She had a very successfull career.
  16. The company increased it's profits.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

They said that writing good English is discrimination and marking down for bad spelling is elitist. They want to reduce difference among students according as starting point of individual conditions of each student. They call it "inclusive assessment". This makes to weep to Professor Smithe. Other professors disagree because this model violates the norms of academic education and normalises illiteracy.

I don´t agree with the inclusive assessment system. We must seek academic excellence and all the best, generally speaking. I think the most qualified people must manage the world. If you go to the doctor you wanted to he knows a lot of medicine and he should be the best professional. In addition, if you are a high expert, it will be easier for you to find employment.

Discrimination is completely distinct from the dropouts and level the playing field. Helping to poor people has noting to do with proficiency. Everybody must make an effort. I think they make a big mistake.

I wish I had had money to study my degree. I wish I hadn´t had to work to pay my books. The students who get success in the company they not always get good grades at university.

I think there is a spelling mistake in:

5. Independent instead independant.
6. Occasionally occassionally
7. Argument arguement
8. Definitely definately
9. Lose loose
10 Separate seperate
12. Environment enviroment
14. Receive recieve
15. Successful successfull

See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon José,

We are just a pair of old fuddy duddies. We should not worry if people do not spell simple words correctly. While we are at it, let's change the rules of arithmetic so that nobody feels left behind. Two and two can equal five.

My spelling has got worse over the years. I put it down to the influence of Spanish and Italian. I still remember times when I misspelled in front of classes - restraunt and beleive come to mind. And I always have to double check that I haven't put an e in argument.

When I see the word loose, most of the time they meant lose. And now I am seeing more and more people spelling too with one o - if you have difficulty telling the difference between too and to, I doubt you are a rocket scientist.



They said that writing good English is discrimination and marking down for bad spelling is elitist. They want to reduce the difference among students taking the starting point and circumstances of each student into account. They call it "inclusive assessment". This makes Professor Smithe weep. Other professors disagree because this model violates the norms of academic education and normalises illiteracy.

I don´t agree with the inclusive assessment system. We must seek academic excellence and (not quite sure what you mean by - all the best) expect people to do their best. I think the most qualified people must manage the world. If you go to the doctor, you want him to know a lot about medicine and he should be the best professional. In addition, if you are a high expert, it will be easier for you to find employment.

Discrimination has nothing to do with dropouts and level playing fields. Neither does helping poor people haave anything to do with proficiency. Everybody must make an effort. I think they are making a big mistake.

I wish I had had money to study my degree. I wish I hadn´t had to work to pay for my books. The students who achieve success in a company did not always get good grades at university.
Graham said…
Jose,

There were also spelling mistakes in
13. You should come TOO. It'll be fun.
and
16. The company increased ITS profits. (another mistake I often see made by native speakers)

I am sorry I have had to point out the mistakes that you made. I hope you are not too traumatised by it all.
Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

Don´t be sorry. I´m grateful to you. You know it.

By the way, I´m an old fuddy-duddy but you don´t.
Graham said…
Hello José,

When I said sorry, i was just making fun of those who suggested being more lenient with spelling mistakes.

I'M an old fuddy-duddy but you AREN'T. Maybe, I'm a gammon (compare to a snowflake)
Gus said…
I think that writing one hundred per cent correctly is not easy. You can occasionally make a mistake and it is permissible.
But, in my opinión, it's a joke that, in order not to be elitist, if a donkey goes to university for a sufficient number of years, he can get a university degree hanging around his neck.
Graham said…
Evening Gus,

I agree with you. We all can make careless spelling mistakes but we should strive to avoid them. I find it shocking that supposedly educated people lack basic skills.