Ranting and Raving

A binomial pair is an expression containing two words which are joined by a conjunction (usually and or or). The word order of a binomial pair is usually fixed. 

Here are a few examples: 

a rant - a long, angry and confused speech (diatriba, bronca) 
e.g. His speech turned into a rant about the political situation.

to rant - to speak, write or shout in a loud, uncontrolled, or angry way, often saying confused or silly things (despotricar, echar pestes) 
e.g. She was ranting (on) about the traffic for what seemed ages.

to rave - to speak in an uncontrolled way, usually because you are upset or angry, or because you are ill (despotricar, desvariar) 
e.g. It was frightening the way he was raving, pacing up and down the street - like a madman. 

to rave about - to express praise and admiration for someone or something enthusiastically (entusiasmarse por algo,  alabar con entusiasmo) 
e.g. Everyone raves about Scotland - it really has some stunning scenery. 
e.g. I didn't think his new movie was anything to rave about.

rave reviews - giving lots of praise (reseña entusiasta)
e.g. The new Italian restaurant has received some rave reviews - we should go and see what the fuss is about.



rant and rave - talk loudly and angrily in an uncontrolled way
e.g. What is he ranting and raving about now?
e.g. She was ranting and raving about what she perceives as her unfair treatment.



There are many binomials, like rant and rave, in which the two words begin with the same sound.

part and parcel - that something is always an essential part of something and is never missing from it (parte integral de)
e.g. Being recognized in the street is part and parcel of being a celebrity.
e.g. Working long shifts is part and parcel of my job. It's not ideal but I'm used to it.

rules and regulations - laws, rules, legislation
e.g. There are so many rules and regulations to do with Covid - many people find them confusing.
e.g. Some of these rules and regulations are just plain stupid






to hustle - to push quickly and roughly (a empujones, codear) / to make (someone) act quickly (empujar, apresuarse)
e.g. The crowd were booing and shouting as the police hustled the Prime Minister into his car.
e.g. Don’t try to hustle me into making a speedy decision.
e.g. They are trying to hustle things along. They are just interested in making a sale.

to bustle - to do things in a hurried and busy way (ir de aquí para allá) 
e.g. She bustled about, tidying up the house before her parents got back.



hustle and bustle - noise and activity (ajetreo)
See examples in the Instagram post below.

 

There are other binomials, like hustle and bustle, in which the two words rhyme.

wine and dine - to entertain someone with an expensive meal and wine, typically in order to gain their favor in some way
e.g. We were wined and dined every night and given the best hotel accommodations in town.
e.g. Companies spend millions wining and dining clients.

fair and square - honestly and according to the rules, without cheating
e.g. There are no excuses. We were beaten fair and square.
e.g. He won the elections fair and square.



grin and bear it - to put up with something unpleasant without complaining (poner al mal tiempo buena cara)
See examples in the Instagram post below.


sick and tired -  to have experienced too much of someone or something with the result that you are annoyed (harto, hasta las narices)
e.g. I’m sick and tired of our neighbours making such a noise – I’m going to call the police.
e.g. Aren't you getting sick and tired of hearing about Corona Virus?

sooner or later - that something will definitely happen, although it is not known when
e.g. A: You'll find a job sooner or later.  B: Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
e.g. Sooner or later he'll have to face the facts.

peace and quiet - a situation in which there is quiet and calm
e.g. All I want at the end of a hectic day is some peace and quiet.
e.g. I'm longing to go to the countryside this weekend for some peace and quiet.



Now it's over to you. Write some of your own examples with the binomials above.

And discover other binomials with these Quizlets.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

1. My boss always rants and raves because I don´t want to work at the weekend.
2. I´m afraid this wall is part and parcel of the framework of the building, for this reason you can´t move.
3. In all societies must be rules and regulations, so anarchy is not possible.
4. I can´t concentrate with so much hustle and bustle.
5. I´m used to going out wining and dining my friends every fortnight.
6. University students must pass their tests fair and square.
7. If you want to run a marathon, you have to learn to grin and bear it.
8. I´m sick and tired of companies call me to offer a lot of advantages every day.
9. Sooner or later the truth always prevails over the machination.
10.When I listen to people talk about Scotland I think about peace and quiet.

See you.
Graham said…
Afternoon Joe,

Have a look at my Binomial folder in Quizlet:
https://quizlet.com/madteachergraham/folders/binomials/sets

I know you have other things to be busy with but I think Quizlet is handy.


1. My boss always rants and raves because I don´t want to work at the weekend. (those days are behind you now!)

2. I´m afraid this wall is part and parcel of the framework of the building, for this reason you can´t move it (the wall). I'm not convinced that it fits here - I don't think we use the expression with tangible things. Noise is part and parcel of city life i.e. You can't have one without the other.

3. In all societies, there must be rules and regulations to prevent anarchy. (though some people are allowed to bend the rules and get away with it)

4. I can´t concentrate with so much hustle and bustle.

5. I´m used to wining and dining / going out to wine and dine my friends every fortnight. (if you wine and dine sb, it is for a reason i.e. you want to impress them so that you obtain sth)

6. University students must pass their tests fair and square.

7. If you want to run a marathon, you have to learn to grin and bear it. (I don't think I tried to hide that I was suffering in my last marathon)

8. I´m sick and tired of companies calling me every day to offer incentives.

9. Sooner or later the truth always prevails over machinations.

10.When I listen to people talk about Scotland, I think about peace and quiet.

Well done!
Barbara said…
1. We were in a rant when somebody came and asked us to be quiet.
2. He were ranting when the boss came there.
3. She was raving because she felt down in the park
4. We can go to the restaurant for her birthday, she rave´s about it.
5. Everybody are giving a rave reviews to this place
6. After the meeting he was rant and rave about everything
7. Listen the problems of the people is a part and parcel of being hairdresser
8. The rules and regulations are very strict about labor segurity
9. When we were in the concert the crown hustle us out.
10. The decision was made bustled, because there were a lot of work to do.
11. I like live in a city center because when you out of your huse you can feel the hussle and bustle of the city.
12. We want our friends to come again to our city, so we were wine and dine them all the night.
13. They win the game fair and square
14. If you want with go with the group you should grin and bear the jokes of the mates.
15. I am sick and tired about the complains of my friend.
16. Sooner or later we find the right way to assemble the wardrobe.
17. Everybody search some peace and quiet on holidays.
Graham said…
Evening Barbara,

I think that by the end of my reply, you'll have me ranting and raving about careless errors. Get into the habit of proof reading - check for spelling and grammatical mistakes.

1. We were in a rant when somebody came and asked us to be quiet.
2. He was ranting when the boss arrived.
3. She was raving because she fell over in the park.
4. We can go to the restaurant for her birthday, she raves about it.
5. Everybody is giving rave reviews about this place.
6. After the meeting, he was ranting and ingrav about everything.
7. Listening to people's problems is part and parcel of being a hairdresser.
8. The rules and regulations are very strict about health and safety. (or do you mean job security)
9. When we were in the concert, the crowd hustled us out.
10. The decision was made hastily, because there was a lot of work to do.
11. I like living in the city centre because when you are out of your house, you can feel the hustle and bustle of the city.
12. We want our friends to come to our city , so we wined and dined them all night.
13. They the game fair and square
14. If you want to go with the group, you should grin and bear their jokes.
15. I am sick and tired of the complaints of my friend.
16. Sooner or later we'll find the right way to assemble the wardrobe.
17. Everybody searches some peace and quiet on holiday.

I have created quite a few Quizlets to practise binomials.