Run, run, run!







Phrasal Verbs with run:

run around: to be very busy doing a lot of things
eg I'm exhausted. I've been running around all day.

run away : to leave a place suddenly and secretly
Some teenagers run away from home when they are unhappy.

run stg by sb: to tell stg to sb
Can you run that by me again? I'm not sure that I have fully understood.

run into sb: to meet sb by chance
I ran into my boss on the High Street at the weekend.

run into stg: to experience something unexpectedly
The company ran into problems and had to rethink their strategy.

run out (of stg): to finish, use or sell all of stg so that there is none left
I ran out of time. I still had five or so questions to answer.

run over - to hit and drive over sb or stg in a vehicle
She was run over by a car, which then sped off.



Running History:

My first race was the 14km around Ciudad Universitaria in March 2015. I finished in 1h 16m 52s; not a bad start.


I did the Madrid half marathon in April 2015. I finished in 1h 57m 16s. I was just glad to cross the finishing line.


I did my first marathon in Hamburg in April 2016. I completed it in 3h 53m 37s (1h 45m 44s at half-way). I even enjoyed the race. I slowed down in the last seven or so kilometres and around the 40km mark, I walked for about a kilometre. The spectators were great; their shouts of encouragement  helped me out a great deal.


I did my second half marathon at the Nairn Highland Games in August 2016. It was the warmest and sunniest day of any of the races. I completed it in 1h 51m 36s.


I then had a 16 month break from running.


I did the 10km Carrera Solidaria por la Salud Mental in Madrid in February. I finished in 49m 48s. It was a nice route. I ran the last kilometre in 4m 18s.


I went to Paris to do the half marathon in March. My finishing time was 1h 43m 15s. I enjoyed the race but it was cold and wet. I was shivering at the end.


I did the half marathon in Granada at the end of April. I found it tough-going. I managed to do it in 1h 53m 53s - not as fast as I would have liked but there were some very steep hills to run up.


My next scheduled race is the *Loch Ness marathon.


*Update:

It was tough. I started off well, perhaps too well. I completed the first half in 1h 41m 16s despite the steep slopes. My calf muscles suffered and I  struggled to even walk much of the second half (2h 35m 3s). It was only because of my stubbornness that I was able to finish in 4h 16m 19s.

I  have hung up my trainers. I don't enjoy running as much as I used to, and I don't think it is wise to  run as I regularly suffer from bad sleep.

If I were to run a third marathon, it would have to be in Rome.


Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,



I run around because my company runs into profits and it needs to work very hard. For this reason I would like that you run goodbye by my friend when he runs away from Spain. I run out of my time to be promoted to boss in my company. I hope run into my manager to apologize because I almost ran over in our garage last night.



I wouldn´t mind walking or hiking 20 kilometres but I can´t run from my kitchen to my bathroom. If I did it, I would get a stitch immediately or would arrive be out of breath. I´m not a jogger. One time, I was a “teacher” of physical education in a little school because the titular teacher was ill and my students asked me: “Why do we run?” ¡Poor students! They must be waiting my answer yet. I didn´t want to they laugh at me. I´m a disaster.



See you.
Graham said…
Hello J,

I should have gone running today but I am down with a cold again. I am starting to get worried about my fitness for the marathon.



I run around because my company needs to make a profit and it needs me to work very hard. For this reason I would like you to say goodbye to my friend when he runs away from Spain. I have run out of time to be promoted to boss of my company. I hope to run into my manager to apologize for almost running him over in our garage last night.

I wouldn´t mind walking or hiking 20 kilometres but I can´t run from my kitchen to my bathroom. If I did it, I would get a stitch immediately or would arrive out of breath. I´m not a jogger. I was a “teacher” of physical education once in a little school because the teacher was ill and my students asked me: “Why are we running?” ¡Poor students! They must still be waiting for answer. I didn´t want them to laugh at me. I´m a disaster.