Poll (6)

Which "ch" word has a /k/ sound?
  • headache (55%)     /ˈhedeɪk/
  • purchase (0%)       /ˈpɜːtʃəs/
  • chemist's (88%)    /ˈkemɪsts/
  • character (100%)  /ˈkærəktər/
  • chalk       (0%)     /tʃɔːk/
  • stomach  (77%)   /ˈstʌmək/
  • loch*        (44%)    /lɒk/ (English pronunciation - Scottish pronunciation is different - not /k/)
  • chorus    (44%)   /ˈkɔːrəs/
* In Scotland lakes are called lochs. So the correct pronunciation is not with /k/.




Which sentence(s) is / are grammatically wrong?

That was by far the best film we have seen this year. ✓ (83%)

by far + superlative + Present Perfect  (big difference with others)


It isn't nearly as warm as it was yesterday.  ✓  (33%)

nearly as + adjective + as     (almost the same)


Her English is a bit better than yours.   ✓   (16%)

a bit + comparative    (small difference)


The north is much expensive than the south.   ✘  (66%)

The north is much more expensive than the south.    ✓

much + comparative    (big difference)


My chocolate cake is just as good that hers.  ✘     (50%)

My chocolate cake is just as good as hers.   ✓

just as + adjective + as   (no difference)


Madrid is more fun than Rome.    ✓      (83%)

more + long adjectives      (general rule but there are exceptions)


It was one of the worse hotels that I have stayed in. ✘      (50%)

It was one of the worst hotels that I have stayed in.   ✓

one of  + superlative + plural nouns       


You couldn't possibly be further from the truth.  ✓      (50%)

far = irregular adjective  (far - further - furthest)




Which verb sequence is correct?

write - wrote - writen   ✘   (0%)
write - wrote - written   ✓

take - took - token   ✘    (20%)
take - took - taken     ✓

teach - tought - tought  ✘     (40%)
teach - taught - taught    ✓

draw - drew - drown   ✘     (0%)
draw - drew - drawn     ✓

choose - chose -choosen    ✘    (0%)    
choose - chose - chosen  ✓ 

rise - rose - risen  ✓    (40%)

fly - flew - flewn   ✘      (0%)
fly - flew - flown   ✓

become - become - became  ✘    (0%)
become - became - become   ✓




Which Phrasal Verb(s) is / are used correctly?

I'm looking forward going on my holidays. ✘    (33%)
I'm looking forward to going on my holidays.   ✓

Can you pick up me from the airport on Saturday?  ✘     (33%)
Can you pick me up* from the airport on Saturday?   ✓

He got out the train at the same stop as me.   ✘   (66%)
He got off the train at the same stop as me.   ✓ 

Can you take your shoes off*? I've just mopped the floor.  ✓    (100%)

We are running out milk. Can you get some when you are out?   ✘   (66%)
We are running out of milk. Can you get some when you are out?   ✓

If you don't know what a word means, look it up*.   ✓  (50%)

They say that I take my father after.   ✘    (0%)
They say that I take after my father.     ✓   

He fell down his bicycle and hurt his knee.  ✘     (50%)
He fell off his bicycle and hurt his knee.   ✓

*Separable Phrasal Verbs - you can put a noun beween the verb and preposition or after the preposition.
eg look a word up ✓ look up a word ✓  / pick my son up ✓ pick up my son ✓  /  take your shoes off ✓ take off your shoes✓
But when you use a pronoun it is always in the middle.
eg look it up ✓  look up it ✘ / pick him up ✓ pick up him ✘  / take them off ✓  take off them ✘




Which sentence(s) is / are correct?

She hardly said a word.  ✓    (80%)
hardly + verb      (= not much)


I had to think hardly before I replied.  ✘    (0%)
I had to think hard before I replied.   ✓
verb + hard


She speaks really well German. ✘      (40%)
She speaks German really well.   ✓
verb + object + adverb


We didn't do bad considering we didn't practise.  ✘   (60%)
We didn't do badly considering we didn't practise.   ✓


You are driving too fastly. Slow down.   ✘   (20%)
You are driving too fast. Slow down.    ✓
(fast is an irregular adverb)


I arrived lately for the party because my car broke down.  ✘   (0%)
I arrived late for the party because my car broke down.     ✓
(late ≠ early)


Have you seen any good films lately?    ✓   (80%)
(lately = recently)


We weren't so nervous when she smiled friendlily.   ✘    (20%)
We weren't so nervous when she smiled in a friendly way.   ✓ 
(friendly is an adjective)



 

Comments